Sunday, March 16, 2008

First post


Hello! This is the first post on my new blog. I am starting this as a way to post my art and talk about it. I anticipate producing a professional website eventually, but until then I will be putting up pieces old and new.


I have just retired from my previous job and am pursuing my long held aspirations to doodle full time. Over the years I have done some illustration work on the side while working a steady job. Now I am learning what it takes to make a go of it full time. I am finding it's very complicated. Hopefully my work and I will hold up.

This is a piece I did for my portfolio in 2002. It was inspired by a friend's mishaps while dog sitting. My friend is not a little girl and I'm pretty sure she didn't fly through the air. But otherwise I think it's a pretty accurate depiction. I enjoy working in a "cartoony" style like this.


I also enjoy working realistically. This is a small still life (5" x 7") that I did recently. I was inspired by the "painting a day" movement. A painting a day is a pretty rigorous standard that I have no illusions about maintaining, but I will keep doing the small pieces from time to time.

No comments: